As the moth is to wool, ? is to cotton

If you just want to chat or sound off about anything (it does not have to be craft related) you can do that here.
If a subject comes up frequently we will add it as a new forum.

Moderators: admin, lulu, Dianne

Post Reply
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

As the moth is to wool, ? is to cotton

Post by exiled »

I had some Patons sorbet in my stash, a cotton acrylic blend. There was a sealed bag of 10 and 4 extra balls.On one ball were 3 dead insects, a bit like ants. I disposed of them and inspected yarn, it looked OK.Now I have knitted several balls, I keep seeing tiny black specks which I am scraping off with a finger nail.Do you think this is a natural quality of cotton or is there an enemy of cotton?Maybe a moth with a wool allergy. What do you think.
By the way, the specks occur about 4 to a 50 gram ball and are really, really small and I wear strong glasses. Just in case you are all saying"urghh"
knitting not smoking
ann
.....
.....
Posts: 154
Joined: 14 Jan 2008 04:02 pm

Post by ann »

hi
I always put some conkers in my stash keeps the moths and spiders away. have you tried putting the wool in the freezer overnight that should bump any live insects off


ann
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

Conkers and knitting

Post by exiled »

I must try that! Just the right time of year as well.
Have knitted several balls since first post and think they must be minute specks of natural cotton.Perhaps it is the nature of the beast, yarnwise.Thank you anyway. I have many kilos of natural wool in my stash so will definitely gather some conkers.Do you have to shell them?
knitting not smoking
ann
.....
.....
Posts: 154
Joined: 14 Jan 2008 04:02 pm

Post by ann »

Hi
yes shell them and leave them for a couple of days to dry out and then they will be ready, just had a thought, are they little seeds in the cotton.

happy knitting


ann
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

cotton

Post by exiled »

They are so tiny that maybe they are seeds. Hard to tell.They detach quite easily and do not seem to be of an animal nature. About the size of a full/stop!
Shall gather conkers this weekend.
Further on the subject, do you find cotton and cotton/blends hard on the hands?
knitting not smoking
ann
.....
.....
Posts: 154
Joined: 14 Jan 2008 04:02 pm

Post by ann »

I have only knitted a couple of things with cotton and found it o.k on the hands the bits I had left over made great washcloths for Christmas presents though.loads of free patterns on the net.



ann
Janet
.....
.....
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Oct 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Essex

Post by Janet »

I have found some cotton hard on my hands. It seems to be the mercerised type that hurts my hands after a lot of knitting. It looks nice and shiny but is somhow harder as well. I suppose it is because it doesn't have the stretch of wool yarn. I find the same with crepe yarn like Sirdar wash 'n' wear. It looks nice knitted but is that bit less yeilding in your fingers.

Janet
ann
.....
.....
Posts: 154
Joined: 14 Jan 2008 04:02 pm

Post by ann »

Hi
I didn't like knitting with the crepe wash "n" wear, seemed to knit up very uneven


ann
Post Reply