I had some Patons sorbet in my stash, a cotton acrylic blend. There was a sealed bag of 10 and 4 extra balls.On one ball were 3 dead insects, a bit like ants. I disposed of them and inspected yarn, it looked OK.Now I have knitted several balls, I keep seeing tiny black specks which I am scraping off with a finger nail.Do you think this is a natural quality of cotton or is there an enemy of cotton?Maybe a moth with a wool allergy. What do you think.
By the way, the specks occur about 4 to a 50 gram ball and are really, really small and I wear strong glasses. Just in case you are all saying"urghh"
As the moth is to wool, ? is to cotton
Moderators: admin, lulu, Dianne
As the moth is to wool, ? is to cotton
knitting not smoking
Conkers and knitting
I must try that! Just the right time of year as well.
Have knitted several balls since first post and think they must be minute specks of natural cotton.Perhaps it is the nature of the beast, yarnwise.Thank you anyway. I have many kilos of natural wool in my stash so will definitely gather some conkers.Do you have to shell them?
Have knitted several balls since first post and think they must be minute specks of natural cotton.Perhaps it is the nature of the beast, yarnwise.Thank you anyway. I have many kilos of natural wool in my stash so will definitely gather some conkers.Do you have to shell them?
knitting not smoking
cotton
They are so tiny that maybe they are seeds. Hard to tell.They detach quite easily and do not seem to be of an animal nature. About the size of a full/stop!
Shall gather conkers this weekend.
Further on the subject, do you find cotton and cotton/blends hard on the hands?
Shall gather conkers this weekend.
Further on the subject, do you find cotton and cotton/blends hard on the hands?
knitting not smoking
I have found some cotton hard on my hands. It seems to be the mercerised type that hurts my hands after a lot of knitting. It looks nice and shiny but is somhow harder as well. I suppose it is because it doesn't have the stretch of wool yarn. I find the same with crepe yarn like Sirdar wash 'n' wear. It looks nice knitted but is that bit less yeilding in your fingers.
Janet
Janet

