Left handed knitting
Moderator: admin
Left handed knitting
Hi, my daughter who is nearly 4 has seen me knitting and wants to have a go. I have two problems: She is nearly 4 and she is left-handed. Any tips for teaching her?
I learnt to knit when I was 4 by sitting on my mum's lap inside her arms as she knitted. That way I watched for some time as she knitted slowly explaining what to do then I took over for a bit and so on until I could do it on my own. I also taught my son to knit in the same way when he was about 6.
I realise this doesn't help if you are right handed and she is left handed but I have heard people say that some left handed people are able to knit right handed if that is how they are taught because knitting uses both hands anyway. It might be worth a try.
Janet
I realise this doesn't help if you are right handed and she is left handed but I have heard people say that some left handed people are able to knit right handed if that is how they are taught because knitting uses both hands anyway. It might be worth a try.
Janet
Re: Left handed knitting
bumper_55 wrote:Hi, my daughter who is nearly 4 has seen me knitting and wants to have a go. I have two problems: She is nearly 4 and she is left-handed. Any tips for teaching her?
HI
Sorry I know this is an old post, But I just wanted to say that I am left-handed and my mum is right handed. She taught me to knit when I was 4 nearly 5. I sat on her knee and copied her. I knit exactly the same way as my mum. Right handed. I think it would add confusion to your little one, to teach her any different to the way you work. After all you use both hands anyway. At 4 your not so set in your ways and its easier to adapt.
When I was at school we never had left handed things for cutting or anything. Therefore I grow up adapting. And most people my age and older are the same.
Good luck with the teaching.
Love
Zoe
Sorry I know this is an old post, But I just wanted to say that I am left-handed and my mum is right handed. She taught me to knit when I was 4 nearly 5. I sat on her knee and copied her. I knit exactly the same way as my mum. Right handed. I think it would add confusion to your little one, to teach her any different to the way you work. After all you use both hands anyway. At 4 your not so set in your ways and its easier to adapt.
When I was at school we never had left handed things for cutting or anything. Therefore I grow up adapting. And most people my age and older are the same.
Good luck with the teaching.
Love
Zoe




