sirdar duet

If you have any questions about knitting please add them here for others to answer.

Moderator: admin

Post Reply
shadesofwhite
..
..
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 08:25 am
Location: Leicester

sirdar duet

Post by shadesofwhite »

I have been given some sirdar duet fashion wool and am wondering if I would be able to use a dk knitting pattern? I have searched for patterns for this wool but have only found a few ladies patterns and I am wanting to knit it for my daughter (she's a small 4 year old)
User avatar
janine
.....
.....
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Jan 2008 04:33 pm

Post by janine »

Don't think DK would work. Looked at some patterns which suggested 5mm needles, so is more like aran. How about knitting a tension square then look for a pattern based on that?
shadesofwhite
..
..
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 08:25 am
Location: Leicester

Post by shadesofwhite »

Thanks for the quick reply. I am not an overly experienced knitter and had never thought of doing a tension square but I will give it ago. I will be back for advice when I haven't a clue what I'm doing! :lol:
shadesofwhite
..
..
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 08:25 am
Location: Leicester

Post by shadesofwhite »

If I knit a tension square, do I have to knit it in the pattern I fancy or do you do it in knit and pearl? This is probably the stupidest question ever :lol:
Flystitch
....
....
Posts: 75
Joined: 22 May 2008 04:13 pm
Location: Sunbury=on-Thames

Post by Flystitch »

A tension square is usually knitted in stocking stitch, 1 row knit, 1 row purl. Give it a go.
ImageImage
yvette
..
..
Posts: 20
Joined: 15 Oct 2007 10:46 pm

Post by yvette »

if the pattern you fancy is lacy or any pattern then i would do the tension square in that pattern
yvette
knitting bod
..
..
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 10:08 am

Post by knitting bod »

Probably the best thing to do is to knit a tension swatch in stocking stitch to obtain the approximate 'standard' tension then look for patterns with this tension - Yarndex is a good way to find yarns with a matching 'standard' tension.

For example, if your stocking stitch tension is 22sts x 30 rows then you'll know that your yarn is approx DK and you can look for patterns in yarns with this standard tension over st st. If the pattern you choose has a pattern such as lace or cables, then you'll need to match tension for that particular pattern.

Does that make sense? 8)
knitting bod
..
..
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 10:08 am

Post by knitting bod »

Actually I've just checked on Yarndex for you and Duet has a standard tension of 21sts over 5mm needles:

click here to see info on Yarndex

so you can check your tension on 5mm needles and then start looking for patterns !

Happy knitting!!

KB
shadesofwhite
..
..
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 08:25 am
Location: Leicester

Post by shadesofwhite »

Thanks everyone :D

I just looked on that link and it says that the weight is DK so surely I can follow a DK pattern? I will try the tension square and see what happens kids are on hols from school at the monute so haven't had time yet. I will let you all know what happens. Wish me luck :wink:
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1660
Joined: 10 Oct 2007 09:31 pm
Contact:

Post by admin »

Yarndex looks a good resource site but be careful because it is American. They do have different terms to the UK. It is also a bit out of date as it says it is "currently produced" which we know it hasn't been for a while.

Knitting bod is correct about the Duet Info - it has a tension of 21 sts 28 rows to a 10cm square done on 5mm needles. If it was on 4mm with that tension it would be almost DK, but it is also not quite Aran which is 19 sts 24 rows on 5mm needles.

I think tensions squares are a must and then maybe doing the next size up or down depending upon whether you choose a DK or Aran pattern.
shadesofwhite
..
..
Posts: 12
Joined: 07 Apr 2009 08:25 am
Location: Leicester

Post by shadesofwhite »

Done my tension square width was fine but it came up a little short to waht it should. The duet yarn is like tape and it is part matt and then goes to shiny. The matt is thicker than the shiny.

The square that I done worked out that it was more shiny the matt so I am betting that over a decent sized piece it would work itself out.

I am gonna try the pattern that I got this tension size from and hope for the best. If I can work out how to put pics on here I will put one up when I have done (probably around ten months time :wink: )
Post Reply