This morning a beautiful book arrived from DKY for Sublime .As normal I read the small print on the back and yes,you have guessed,it is made by
Sirdar!
I have looked at the yarn requirements and tension of one particular garment and think I can knit it in my favourite Elle Caress of which I have plenty in stash.
I will let you know how pattern works out.
The Saga of Sirdar
Moderator: admin
The Saga of Sirdar
knitting not smoking
It is fairly well known that Sublime is part of Sirdar - much the same as Hayfield was (and will be again - see post in members) supplied by Sirdar. Hayfield or Bonus are the standard cheaper end of the market, Sirdar is in the middle and Sublime is top end. Other companies do this too.
Please beware when substituting yarns as it is not just the tension you need to look at. You also need to look at what the yarn is made of.
We have just had a very enlightening conversation with Jamie from James C.Brett and he knows a lot about spinning and yarn - they do a lot of their yarns themselves.
Apparently a case in point is any baby yarn with nylon in will not look the same as a 100% acrylic yarn when knitted up. The acyrlic yarn looks fatter in the strand, weighs more per metre so you get less yardage per 100g. So if you try and do a pattern designed for 100% acrylic in a yarn which is not 100% acrylic then it may not look the same or even work to the correct tension. I haven't tested this out myself yet but I know of at least one customer who has found this out the hard way.
I don't profess to be an experienced knitter so please have your say if you think i am talking bull***t
Please beware when substituting yarns as it is not just the tension you need to look at. You also need to look at what the yarn is made of.
We have just had a very enlightening conversation with Jamie from James C.Brett and he knows a lot about spinning and yarn - they do a lot of their yarns themselves.
Apparently a case in point is any baby yarn with nylon in will not look the same as a 100% acrylic yarn when knitted up. The acyrlic yarn looks fatter in the strand, weighs more per metre so you get less yardage per 100g. So if you try and do a pattern designed for 100% acrylic in a yarn which is not 100% acrylic then it may not look the same or even work to the correct tension. I haven't tested this out myself yet but I know of at least one customer who has found this out the hard way.
I don't profess to be an experienced knitter so please have your say if you think i am talking bull***t
Admin
www.knitone.co.uk
www.knitone.co.uk
re. substitute yarn
I must confess that I had no idea that wool spinners marketed under different labels. Just recently,I and others have slated Sirdar about their customer service department.At the same time,I would like to say that the Sublime yarn that came with the leaflet is, as it is called, sublime.
Thank you for the info on weight being another factor to take into consideration.The more one learns about yarn,the more there is to learn.A truly fascinating subject.
Thank you for the info on weight being another factor to take into consideration.The more one learns about yarn,the more there is to learn.A truly fascinating subject.
knitting not smoking
When looking for an alternative yarn I have always checked tension and yardage but I do try to go for similar materials anyway. I still find though that using the yarn specified on the pattern gives the best results.
As for Sirdar, as I said in the other post they responded promptly and helpfully to Mum's letter and the top is now finished. I will still be using Sirdar Snuggly for my baby knitting as I find it great value for money and I love the results.
As for Sirdar, as I said in the other post they responded promptly and helpfully to Mum's letter and the top is now finished. I will still be using Sirdar Snuggly for my baby knitting as I find it great value for money and I love the results.

