Page 1 of 1

Why do people say they have 'knit' something

Posted: 04 Feb 2010 12:31 pm
by scotsbluebell
Hi,

why do people say they have 'knit' something when surely the word is 'knitted'? Is this an Americanisation/poor English/am I just old fashioned??? :)

Knit or knitted

Posted: 02 Jul 2010 07:45 pm
by exiled
I am with you over this, I think it is another Americanisation which has slipped into our language.
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old woman, ( I am,) there are other words and phrases that irritate me.
Schedule pronounced as if there were a k
"looking to do something" e.g. Are you looking to buy a new house? What happened to hoping to or planning to?
K instead of thousand
24/7 instead of24 hours a day.
pearl stitches instead of purl.
I could go on but I will end there, and yes I do know there are more important things in life but it,s too hot and I feel like having a whinge for a few minutes11

:) :!: :!: :!:

Posted: 04 Jul 2010 09:54 pm
by admin
I am afraid I am guilty of using 24/7 but it backfired on me a bit recently.

We had the following message in the shopping basket

The Shopping Basket and Secure Payment Option is open 24/7.

Unfortunately a customer misread this and thought we were closed until 24th July.

I have now changed the message to explain it a bit better. :?

I'm not alone then ...

Posted: 05 Jul 2010 09:38 am
by scotsbluebell
Thanks Exiled, good to know I'm not the only grumpy old woman who picks these things up. The list is endless and I could go on but I thought the 'knit' one was particularly relevant to this site.

Interesting about the 24/7 comment, admin!

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 03:46 pm
by jane
Well, from one grumpy old woman to another my most annoying phrase is 'off of'. It's everywhere, tv, films radio, even my daughter uses it all of the time but it really, really aggravates me!!!!!

I agree Scorsbluebell, it should be knitted as in knit, knitting, knitted. :D

OOOh we could be here for days with these!

Posted: 13 Jul 2010 04:09 pm
by scotsbluebell
Another 'of' one is when people say they 'should of done something' when they mean they 'should HAVE done something'. There's also less when it should be fewer and I find the TV people can't handle singular and plural ... one in 10 people HAS is correct but they all say one in 10 people HAVE. I shout at the TV all the time ... oh help, that sounds really sad written down. :lol: