Best needles for chunky wool

If you have any questions about knitting please add them here for others to answer.

Moderator: admin

Post Reply
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

Best needles for chunky wool

Post by exiled »

After the fiasco of the Calico(see previous post) I have decided to start a chunky cardi for my daughter.She chose pattern and yarn some time ago.My problem is that the needles seem really clumsy and the process painful to my rather small hands. I did the tension square on traditional metal needles, a light aluminium type and wonder if wooden or bamboo would give more slide. Fortunately, I was able to drop from the recommended 8mm to 6.5mm with my loose knitting but it still hurts.
Help please!
knitting not smoking
Beanie
....
....
Posts: 53
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 07:46 pm

Post by Beanie »

I think it helps to have shorter needles, but other than that its just getting used to the size. I change from 20mm for a project to 1mm then back again. It does get easier.

x
Janet
.....
.....
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Oct 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Essex

Post by Janet »

Hi
You don't say what the yarn is made of. If it is acylic then you are unlikely to get more slide on wood or bamboo. You might if you tried plastic. Quite a lot of larger needles are made in plastic so you should find some fairly cheaply.
I prefer to use plastic needles if possible for both more slide and easier on aching hands. :)

Janet
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

extra chunky yarn

Post by exiled »

A bit late but thanks for the feedback.I did abandon said project and the yarn, Patons Caressa express joins the part of my stash which I shall never use. I realised that not only was it very heavy, the yarn itself feels harsh.There is mohair in it, but also little "nobbles" of, I presume acrylic, and those combined with the weight make it uncomfortable. A candidate for the garage sale, I think.
On a positive note, having been a bit of a "pure wool" snob in the past, I have recently discovered Elle Pure Gold in DK and Aran.A bit late, I know as it is not being imported to UK any more, but lovely to knit with and providing you get the tension spot on, good results and washes well. Grab it while you can.
knitting not smoking
aiza
.
.
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Sep 2013 06:57 am

Post by aiza »

I've just suggested Dianne's to someone on Kemps forum who was looking for 3ply in cream, so I should think it works out pretty well when different sites stock different things!
Post Reply