Page 1 of 1

Knitting Needles etc.

Posted: 07 May 2009 11:45 pm
by admin
Sirdar have stopped supplying needles etc. so we have been checking out some other suppliers.

Unfortunately Sirdar used to give us a good discount and we can't match the price anywhere else for the same quality of needle (Pony mainly). However we can get some made by Lesür (who make the crochet cotton) which are not so expensive. We have not seen the quality and will be putting in a small order with them to see.

The above poll has 3 options.

1. Just good ones (but the price may have to rise when we run out of Sirdar stock)

2. Just the cheaper ones (when the Sirdar stock has run out)

3. Both (price rise on the good ones - but we do have limited room to store them. We prefer to use the room for patterns and yarn)

When I say "good ones", I have no proof that Lesür needles are any worse or better than Pony or Inox etc. If you know please post on here or email me.

This affects all hard haberdashery - knitting needles plus circular, cable and DPN, crochet hooks, stitch holders, row counters etc. so some may go out of stock while we do some research. Please bear with us.

Posted: 08 May 2009 04:40 pm
by admin
What other needles manufacturers do you think are good? Prym, Inox, Pony

Feedback please?

Or does it matter? Is a needle a needle (except bamboo etc of course)?

Posted: 09 May 2009 02:36 pm
by janine
I don't mind what needles I use! The cheaper the better for me! I prefer to spend my money on the yarn. Let's face it, knitting isn't a cheap hobby, and there's not much spare cash around these days. As long as the needles don't spoil the work of course!

Posted: 09 May 2009 08:31 pm
by shadesofwhite
I bought a pair of needles (sorry can't remember the make) once and the coating came off. I was knitting a white baby cardigan and it took me a while to understand why it was going grey. So as long as this don't happen I'd buy any make.

Posted: 15 May 2009 07:00 pm
by jane
I haven't voted as I only use bamboo or wooden ones now. I find they are much better for me, apart from that I only use circulars and I really like the interchangeable too so I pay the price!!

Posted: 17 May 2009 02:56 pm
by knitting bod
Sorry but definitely not cheap ones if that means a lower quality :( I've bought cheaper needles before only to find that the sizing was out and needles that were supposed to be 4mm were more like 4.5mm.

Even bamboo needles differ in quality, so again, good quality needles over poorer quality please even if that means more expensive!

Posted: 17 May 2009 04:17 pm
by Janet
I think I have said in the past on another thread that I love Pony Pearl needles. They are plastic but with reinforcing inside in the smaller sizes. I always use them if I can because they are nice and smooth and give just a bit more than metal needles but not as much as a normal plastic needle. If I use metal neeedles I find that my hands ache after prolonged use (I don't like bamboo as they grip the yarn too much).

Janet