I went to a knitting and stitching show and was looking for some different needles because lately I have been having aches and pains in my hands.
I have changed to using plastic needles which is much better but thought I would see what new ones were around as I don't get on with bamboo.
The lantern moon needles are made of wood in Vietnam and they appeared very smooth and I was told they were good for arthritis. Although they cost £12.00 for a pair I thought they looked so nice I would splash out. What a mistake . When I started using them I found that one needle had a little split in the wood so that the yarn snagged on it. That could have just been bad luck but then I thought they felt thick for 4.mm which was what they were marked as. When I checked them with my needle guage they were really 4.5mm.
My advice is don't waste your money
Janet
Last edited by Janet on 20 Oct 2007 04:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The reason I don't get on with bamboo needles is that, the ones I have at least, are not smooth enough for me. The yarn does not move along them freely enough. I have heard that they smooth with use but I can't stand them until then.
It would be interesting to know if some brands are smoother than others.
I still like my Ivore needles best which I reviewed on the old forum. They are made of casein and are like very smooth plastic.
But my all time favourites are some Pony Pearl ones. They are hollow plastic reinforced with something inside. I find they are comfortable and smooth.
Hi Janet, I also suffer from aches in my hands and wrists, so I tried Denise interchangable needles (they are American, but you can get them over here) they are lightweight plastic interchangable tips and cords like circular needles, kits cost about £40 with quite a good range of sizes included, but not smaller sizes ie 3.5mm not in the set.
I've bought bamboo needles and found they snag too. I have some wonderful needles that I love but they were my Grandma's so they must be about 60 years old. The wool seems to glide better over the old needles. I too have Denise interchangeable and I love them. They are big bonus to me as they are circular so there's no needle for my cats to hang on to when I'm knitting It is disappointing though that you can't get the smaller sizes
I have to agree with you all. Bamboo are too expensive for there life span smaller sizes snap and bend. They split and snag your work and they are far too long.
I brought a complete set what a waste of money I thinnk I have 2 pairs that are usable now.
I have rosewood needles and they are lovely but sooo much pennies. I am looking at getting the complete set of Ivore needles I like the sound of milk protein needles they must be strong.....
But it takes all sorts to make the world go round so I bet someone will love bamboo. They do sell very well and people have bidding wars on ebay.
If I were you Carole I would get the Ivore needles as they are a little quirky and I know of only one other internet shop which sells them
One of our suppliers sent us a pack of Pony Pearl by mistake and we sent it back. We thought they were just a different colour and most customers would not be interested. Were we wrong?
The feedback on Bamboo has been very helpful - we will do some research among our suppliers to see what else there is. Any more help will be appreciated.
Well as I said I really like Pony Pearl needles. They are easy on the hands with just the right amount of flex to them and they are much smoother than wood or bamboo but not quite as slippery as metal.
They are hollow plastic with the finer ones having a metal rod inside for strength so the fine ones do rattle a bit in use but the noise is no worse than normal metal ones.
I have had a few pairs for years now and have not bent or damaged any.
If you sold them, particularly some of the shorter lengths which I can't get easily elsewhere, I would buy them.
There are double pointed ones in the range as well.
I like shorter needles.....I hate long needles (Bamboo are generally long). I like needles to have a bit of weight in them too so I try to avoid plastic. But the pony pearls sound like they have added weight. tempted very tempted.
I still like the idea of the Ivore needles. I have only found the one shop that do the ivore needles Janet, I did'nt order as I have never purchased from them before. I would have if I knew it was ok.
Maybe you need to get some samples in Carole and send them to me to test Or just one size would do.......If I like them I would buy an whole set.
Double pointed ones too I don't think enough places do the full size range, we don't just make socks with them.
I like short needles too. My sister-in-law likes very long ones that she can tuck under her arms as she knits but I would rather cram all my stitches onto short needles. I think is probably why I like using circular needles.
Yes we've got our new link road and a Sainsbury's at last. The link road has it's pros and cons, it adds about 5 minutes to the journey time into Matlock town but it also keeps the heavy lorries out of the town centre. The main problem at the moment though is the traffic lights are'nt synchronised properly so you get a green light, move forward aout 10 yards and get a red light!
I have just bought some of the Ivore needles and I have been very impressed with them. I do however really like bamboo needles as well. I also have some addi turbo circulars which are fantastic and feel so soft. I don't know if any of this is helpful.
Amanda.