Page 1 of 1
Using cotton/cotton blends
Posted: 11 Aug 2008 08:22 pm
by exiled
I am knitting a baby hoodie in the Sirdar yarn called Calico.The colours and feel are lovely but I am wondering whether it is better to avoid cotton when doing plain stocking stitch.It seems very unforgiving with any uneven stitches,whereas pure wool isn,t.As a very loose knitter,I am using much smaller needles than recommended,but I am still not 100% happy.What do you think?
Posted: 13 Aug 2008 07:24 am
by ann
hi
I have just finished a cotton baby sweater in James C Brett (Firenza )think it was called that without looking up the wool. done that in stocking stitch and it seems o.k, but its not easy to get an even finish, but thought that was me as I havn't knitted cotton before.
ann
cotton/cotton blends
Posted: 13 Aug 2008 08:20 am
by exiled
I have nearly finished sewing up hoodie and also found the yarn quite bulky for seams.After doing the shoulders,I decided to split it,yarn divides quite easily in to 4 strands and I found 2 much neater.Also I could use a finer sewing needle.It is looking quite pretty apart from uneven stocking stitch but I now have to pick up bottom and do a hem as my daughter in law, whose baby is due on Sunday,specified no ribbing! Although it is a tiny garment,I have been battling on several fronts.A.I am recovering from a bad accident to left hand in May.B.I am adapting a pattern with the usual ribbing
and C I have never knitted with cotton before,it,s much harder on newly healed fingers.
Apart from all that,everything is fine!!
Posted: 13 Aug 2008 09:27 am
by ann
hi
sounds as though you are having the same problems as me, I had trouble sewing up the seams, the tread would go halfway and then get all bunched up.
ann
Posted: 13 Aug 2008 10:28 am
by janine
I actually like knitting with cotton, though it can be hard to sew up. But what's really good is the way it looks lovely after washing and doesn't go bobbly! I hope your daughter in law appreciates all your hard work!

I bet she's not a knitter, is she?

daughter in law
Posted: 13 Aug 2008 03:45 pm
by exiled
Just as an aside,we were at a barbecue at said DIL,s last week.In the company were 3 young Mums including my own daughter.I happened to mention that traditionally,first time Mums knit at least one little garment.Even a pair of bootees.All 3 said the same thing"Oh,I don,t have time to sit knitting"However when I asked how many hours in a week they watch TV,they all volunteered different amounts.And when I suggested that it is possible to do both knitting and watching,they still would not accept that it is a matter of what you would rather do with your spare time.Have you noticed that non/readers tend to say the same that they do not have the time
.The same people will happily watch "soaps" for hours each week.
My daughter in law said her child would be an adult before she finished anything and her husband,our son, said he would divorce her if he caught her knitting and"wasting time".This from a couple who are inevitably either curled up on the sofa with th
e programme control or on their computers!
New definition of an addicted knitter
Someone who thinks about leaving her husband(seriously) but cannot work out how she could take her wool stash,her needles or about 20 knitting books.Not to mention the 35 year old Swiss made sewing machine.
Did I hear someone mention "priorities"_
PS
Posted: 13 Aug 2008 05:03 pm
by exiled
Did I say 20 knitting books? Try 33 ,3 A4 files stuffed with patterns and numerous magazines.Almost a removal van to its self!
Posted: 16 Aug 2008 02:39 pm
by Flystitch
I am with you exiled

Posted: 17 Aug 2008 04:45 pm
by Janet
You are so right Exiled.
One the subject of cotton to knit with I agree that it can be hard on the hands. I find some are nicer to work with than others and the cotton/mademade mixes solve the problem nicely.
If you are still worried about the uneven stocking stitch check the ball band about blocking instructions. Most of us ignore blocking our knitting but it can really improve the look of the finished item. If you are not sure about blocking try washing the garment before you give it as that can help a lot.
Janet
ps on knitting with cotton
Posted: 05 Jul 2010 09:56 pm
by exiled
Have just read my 2 year old post. Many things personal and knitting wise have happened but I have done quite a bit of knitting in cotton blends and am getting on much better, I can recommend Brett,s Kool Kotton, it is inexpensive and knits up well.
My hands will never be perfect after the corned beef tin fiasco but I am back to my normal speed.
The sad thing is that the daughter in law who wanted the hoodie for our new granddaughter, left a couple of months later, taking baby with her and we only see her when Daddy, our son has access. Such a sad world we live in!