Page 1 of 1
Painting
Posted: 01 Aug 2008 03:32 pm
by bumper_55
Hello,
This is not craft related at all, but I thought someone might be able to help. I have some decorating to do in a hurry (a whole house full) and I was thinking of buying the one-coat emulsion and gloss to save a bit of time. I wondered if anyone here had tried them and how you got on. Any advice gratefully received as I'm completely stressed out today!
Thanks
Jane
Posted: 01 Aug 2008 10:19 pm
by janine
I didn't like one coat emulsion when I tried it. I found it too thick and I still thought it needed another coat. But I'm most definitely not a DIY expert!

Posted: 02 Aug 2008 02:09 pm
by Janet
My husband has used one coat emulsion and like Janine he felt it needed 2 coats to get a really good finish. I think it depends how good you are at applying the first coat evenly.
Janet
Posted: 02 Aug 2008 08:19 pm
by jane
It discolours quickly too - even in a non-smoking household.
Posted: 03 Aug 2008 10:11 am
by Flystitch
In the long run, better to use the traditional 2 coats. I used the one coat a few years ago and was not happy with the result.
Posted: 03 Aug 2008 12:40 pm
by ann
hi
think it depends what brand you go for,I have used cheap paints from a store don't think i better say but begins with "W" so now only buy the one thats got a dog on it, or one with a crown on it and they are good.might work out a bit more expensive, but you pay for what you get.
good luck anyway with all that decorating.
ann
Posted: 03 Aug 2008 07:52 pm
by bumper_55
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I guess I suspected what the answer would be when I asked the question. I think I will go for one of the well known brands. as with most things I guess you get what you pay for in the end. Just the colours to choose now!!
Thanks
Jane