Knitaholic Newbe
Knitaholic Newbe
Hi there
Can't say whether I will be able to post regularly as it depends on work levels, but it's nice to be among people who understand how difficult it is NOT to look at patterns and new yarns, especially bargains! It started with boredom at work with not enough to do and has now become irrestistable. Although by no means a baby I did have rather immature approach to knitting, being an Aries I wanted big needles and thick wool so that it was finished asap, and I would get tired of something and leave it unfinished for literally years. And my dear old mum, bless her, used to get my garments to sew up because I also hated doing that. Well mum would be proud of me because I can now stick with things and even undo and reknit if they are not right, and sadly I have to do my own making up. I have even ventured to smaller needles and thinner yarn, although not often! Now I have more wool waiting than I will probably ever have the chance to knit up, but that doesn't stop me buying more, Diane will be glad to hear. Must do some work now. Kind regards. Marrers
Can't say whether I will be able to post regularly as it depends on work levels, but it's nice to be among people who understand how difficult it is NOT to look at patterns and new yarns, especially bargains! It started with boredom at work with not enough to do and has now become irrestistable. Although by no means a baby I did have rather immature approach to knitting, being an Aries I wanted big needles and thick wool so that it was finished asap, and I would get tired of something and leave it unfinished for literally years. And my dear old mum, bless her, used to get my garments to sew up because I also hated doing that. Well mum would be proud of me because I can now stick with things and even undo and reknit if they are not right, and sadly I have to do my own making up. I have even ventured to smaller needles and thinner yarn, although not often! Now I have more wool waiting than I will probably ever have the chance to knit up, but that doesn't stop me buying more, Diane will be glad to hear. Must do some work now. Kind regards. Marrers
Marrers
Hello Marrers
Sewing up...yuck!
I hate it, that's why I have so many unfinished projects, all sat nicely knitted in a bag, waiting to be sewn up. Done wrong it can ruin all our hard work.
I knit with DK thickness up to as thick as you can buy. Not keen on thinner yarn or needles smaller than 3mm. I end up stabing myself !
Liz
Sewing up...yuck!
I knit with DK thickness up to as thick as you can buy. Not keen on thinner yarn or needles smaller than 3mm. I end up stabing myself !
Liz
Crochet
Ooops, forgot to say have crochet phobia but that's just because I can't do it! Mum gave up after a few attempts to teach me; she crocheted beautifully and at Olympic speed. All that work using one hand, clumsy clot that I was, not dexterous enough. Partner John is out "supporting" Scottish football tonight in a Glasgow pub; me I am curling up with the TV remote and my latest knitting project. Will probably fall asleep and do nothing.
Marrers
I can do basic crochet, self taught over the years. I've dipped into it since I was about 10, gran just gave me a book rather than showed me how to do it. Guess she was just a knitter too!
I can make bootees, hats and purses as well as granny square blankets now. I'm also making an Erika Knight blanket which is an altewrnative granny blanket.
I'm alot slower at following a pattern though, needing to look at every single phrase...repeatedly!
I can make bootees, hats and purses as well as granny square blankets now. I'm also making an Erika Knight blanket which is an altewrnative granny blanket.
I'm alot slower at following a pattern though, needing to look at every single phrase...repeatedly!
- Northernknitter
- ....

- Posts: 93
- Joined: 12 Nov 2007 04:50 pm
Hi and welcome
My poor mum ends up with some of my sewing up too!
I am trying to teach myself how to crochet "properly". My mum and grandma have tried to show me over the years but I've always preferred to knit.....until recently when I joined a "crochet-along" on Ravelry. Now you could say I'm hooked!!
My poor mum ends up with some of my sewing up too!
I am trying to teach myself how to crochet "properly". My mum and grandma have tried to show me over the years but I've always preferred to knit.....until recently when I joined a "crochet-along" on Ravelry. Now you could say I'm hooked!!
Hi Marrers
Good to see another obsessive knitter on here. I'm trying to teach my Mum how to sew up better as she says nothing looks right when she does it! I taught myself how to crochet after my Dad made a top for one of my daughters and refused to make one for her sister. It took a while and I still can't tell which is the front but I did manage to finish it amazingly!
Got to go - I need to do some knitting
Good to see another obsessive knitter on here. I'm trying to teach my Mum how to sew up better as she says nothing looks right when she does it! I taught myself how to crochet after my Dad made a top for one of my daughters and refused to make one for her sister. It took a while and I still can't tell which is the front but I did manage to finish it amazingly!
Got to go - I need to do some knitting
Knitters
I personally think we have to be a touch eccentric to knit. It seems to go with the package. I don't mind at all; mad people seem to live longer! This is intended as a compliment, not an insult, ladies. By the way, do we have any MALE knitters?
Marrers
Right now I'm knitting a set of cushion covers on 4mm needles, a baby afghan with 3 balls of wool on 12mm needles and a baby cardigan on 3.25mm needles.
I often knit cat toys with yarn scraps and cat blankets with left over yarn using 2 or 3 balls at a time and then add a new colour as one runs out. That's a great stash buster.
I hate sewing up too and have a number of projects waiting to be sewn up
I often knit cat toys with yarn scraps and cat blankets with left over yarn using 2 or 3 balls at a time and then add a new colour as one runs out. That's a great stash buster.
I hate sewing up too and have a number of projects waiting to be sewn up




