Page 1 of 1
adding colours
Posted: 18 Apr 2008 04:14 pm
by ann
Hi
seen this pattern i would love to knit, its Nordic design, but means i have to add colours as i go along the row, how do i do that without leaving a hole, or making the knitting too tight,or do I cheat and use some thing like a random coloured wool.
ann
Posted: 18 Apr 2008 04:21 pm
by janine
I don't think random wool would work for that, though it can be lovely on its own. You do have to be careful when using different colours on the row. You need to twist the colours together so there is no hole, but loosely so the stitches don't become too tight. I have done it in the past and it can look lovely, but what I find annoying is that the yarns get all tangled up at the back and every so often you have to take time to untangle them.

A lovely alternative for a coloured garment is elle escapade. (see my earlier post on this) Hope this helps a bit!
Posted: 18 Apr 2008 04:49 pm
by ann
Hi
Janine
think I am going to get myself into an awful muddle,so perhaps I will stick to my first idea Elle escapade, you were lucky to get yours at that price,have seen it here but don't really want to buy it by the pack.have got so much wool now I am running out of space.
Ann
Posted: 23 Apr 2008 10:36 pm
by Janet
Hi Ann
Coloured knitting is like anything else it gets easier with practise. If you use fairisle bobbins or pieces of card to wrap the colours onto it can help stop the tangling. If possible I stick to using fairly short pieces of the coloured yarn so I can pull them through if they get tangled.
I do agree that the Elle Escapade looks very good in the picture.
Janet