Page 1 of 1
neat way to cast on
Posted: 26 Feb 2008 07:35 pm
by Heksie
Hi
I am back from my short holiday and have learned a neat way to cast on.
Do not commmence your cast on stitches with a knot, rather just twist your wool. Cast on the required amount of stitiches PLUS TWO EXSTRA STICHES.
Knit your first row until two (2) stitches remain. Now drop these 2 stitches from your needle and pull the wool tail to undo the 2 stitches.
This will give a very neat beginning. (no loose-loopy stitch)
Continue normal with the pattern of your garment.
Heksie

Posted: 19 Mar 2008 10:28 am
by Cecile
Hello, Heksie.
I've tried this tip of yours. It is so simple and the results are so neat and satisfying - especially so when it comes to joing the sleeve cuffs of baby clothes. Thank you
Cecile
Posted: 19 Mar 2008 06:03 pm
by grant42
I must try that,thanks Heksie.

Posted: 26 May 2008 10:26 am
by Flystitch
Thanks for that tip, I shall use it next time I cast on, I hate those loopy bits

Thanks for tip
Posted: 17 Jul 2008 07:28 pm
by exiled
The casting on tip worked beautifully.I am a very loose knitter and really hated the loop at the beginning edge.
Now I would like to know how to increase invisibly and neatly at the beginning and ends of rows.I am trying ,again,to make a child,s bolero and always end up with an untidy holey curve on the increasing edge.
Any suggestions please?
Posted: 17 Jul 2008 10:25 pm
by Flystitch
I always increase in the next to last stitch, I find that gives a smoother edge.
Re: Thanks for tip
Posted: 23 Jul 2008 10:16 pm
by Heksie
exiled wrote:The casting on tip worked beautifully.I am a very loose knitter and really hated the loop at the beginning edge.
Now I would like to know how to increase invisibly and neatly at the beginning and ends of rows.I am trying ,again,to make a child,s bolero and always end up with an untidy holey curve on the increasing edge.
Any suggestions please?
hi my friend
I agree with "Flystitch" On your increase row do the increase in the second stitch by knitting in the back and front of the stitch, complete your row until your second last stitch, increase by knitting in the back and front of the next stitch then knit your last stitch Also remember when you do a raglan and/or V neck cardigan do your decreasing as follow: wright side facing you, slip the first stich, knit the next stitch, slip the next stitch, knit the next one then pull the second slipped one over complete your row up to the last four stitches knit two together and then knit the last two stictches normal. it will give you a nice ridge effect. hope it helps. Heksie
Posted: 24 Jul 2008 10:20 pm
by Flystitch
Yes Heksie, that says it perfectly.