can anyone help?
I have found a cardigan pattern i like, it says to pick up stitches up the fronts for button bands and do a 2x2 rib. If i do a 1x1 rib will it work out ok? I find 2x2 ribs stretch to much after you have worn them a few times
Irene
It should be, you'll be doing the same number of stitches. As Cheryl wrote, just give it a try, if it doesn't work or you don't like it, you can always undo it.
The only problem I can see is that the 1x1 rib may not contract up the same amount as the 2x2 rib. The usual thinking is that 2x2 rib contracts more than 1x1 rib but as you say is also more stretchy. You may find you need to pick up a few less stitches for the 1x1 rib if the front band seems to be stretching the front rather than holding it firm. If you do need to reduce the number of stitches it will only be a few less.
Hi Janet,
Thats what i thought might happen, perhaps i had better stick to the pattern because if i have already done a 1x1 rib for the bottom and cuffs and it doesnt work on the front bands, it will look a bit strange with a 2x2 rib just up the front. Hope you understand what i mean
Thank for your help
Irene
You could try knitting-in elastic in the front band 2x2 ribing . I used it once on a top in pure cotton because the ribbing was horrid due to the yarn having no stretch. I don't think they sell it on here but it is only £1+ for a reel that will last ages. It is a very thin transparent elastic that you literally knit along with your yarn to give extra stretch.
Hi Janet,
That sounds like a good idea.I have never heard of it before, ribs often go baggy after a while. I might think of using it in all my ribs. Can you tell me where i could get some?
thanks a lot
Irene
You can get some form Dragon Yarns at www.dragonyarns.co.uk. They stock different yarn brands to this web site so I don't feel bad mentioning them. Go into the Accessories section you will find it there for £1.70 a roll. One roll will last you for a few jumpers.
If you have this problem a lot with ribbing though it could be you need to use a size smaller needle than the pattern says just for the ribbing.
I have the opposite problem and use a size larger than patterns say for the ribbing as mine tends to be too tight even though my stocking stitch is OK. The problem is patterns don't give you a tension for the ribbing. You just have to go by experience.
You knit all the rib with it, at least that is what I did.
It takes a little getting used to but you will be fine with it by the time you have finished one piece of ribbing.
My sister (an excelent knitter) introduced me to do ribbings (1x1 or 2x2) the following way:
On the right side of your knitting, knit the row normal 1x1 or 2x2rib but on your wrong side, bring your yarn as if you are going to purl the stich BUT slip the stich/s purl wise, take the wool back and knit your knit sticthes normal again. the tread is carried in this way and therefore reduce the stretching. Hope this will help