neat way to cast on

You can add any Tips or Tricks of the 'trade' which you want to pass on to others here

Moderator: admin

Post Reply
User avatar
Heksie
..
..
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Jan 2008 08:53 pm
Location: Waterfall South Africa

neat way to cast on

Post by Heksie »

Hi :lol:
I am back from my short holiday and have learned a neat way to cast on.

Do not commmence your cast on stitches with a knot, rather just twist your wool. Cast on the required amount of stitiches PLUS TWO EXSTRA STICHES.
Knit your first row until two (2) stitches remain. Now drop these 2 stitches from your needle and pull the wool tail to undo the 2 stitches.
This will give a very neat beginning. (no loose-loopy stitch)
Continue normal with the pattern of your garment.
Heksie :wink:
Cecile
.
.
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Mar 2008 10:57 am

Post by Cecile »

Hello, Heksie.
I've tried this tip of yours. It is so simple and the results are so neat and satisfying - especially so when it comes to joing the sleeve cuffs of baby clothes. Thank you
Cecile
grant42
.....
.....
Posts: 129
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 09:54 am
Location: March Cambs UK

Post by grant42 »

I must try that,thanks Heksie. :)
Cheryl

Ravelry ID: grant42
Flystitch
....
....
Posts: 75
Joined: 22 May 2008 04:13 pm
Location: Sunbury=on-Thames

Post by Flystitch »

Thanks for that tip, I shall use it next time I cast on, I hate those loopy bits :roll:
ImageImage
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

Thanks for tip

Post by exiled »

The casting on tip worked beautifully.I am a very loose knitter and really hated the loop at the beginning edge.
Now I would like to know how to increase invisibly and neatly at the beginning and ends of rows.I am trying ,again,to make a child,s bolero and always end up with an untidy holey curve on the increasing edge.
Any suggestions please?
knitting not smoking
Flystitch
....
....
Posts: 75
Joined: 22 May 2008 04:13 pm
Location: Sunbury=on-Thames

Post by Flystitch »

I always increase in the next to last stitch, I find that gives a smoother edge.
ImageImage
User avatar
Heksie
..
..
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Jan 2008 08:53 pm
Location: Waterfall South Africa

Re: Thanks for tip

Post by Heksie »

exiled wrote:The casting on tip worked beautifully.I am a very loose knitter and really hated the loop at the beginning edge.
Now I would like to know how to increase invisibly and neatly at the beginning and ends of rows.I am trying ,again,to make a child,s bolero and always end up with an untidy holey curve on the increasing edge.
Any suggestions please?
hi my friend
I agree with "Flystitch" On your increase row do the increase in the second stitch by knitting in the back and front of the stitch, complete your row until your second last stitch, increase by knitting in the back and front of the next stitch then knit your last stitch Also remember when you do a raglan and/or V neck cardigan do your decreasing as follow: wright side facing you, slip the first stich, knit the next stitch, slip the next stitch, knit the next one then pull the second slipped one over complete your row up to the last four stitches knit two together and then knit the last two stictches normal. it will give you a nice ridge effect. hope it helps. Heksie
Flystitch
....
....
Posts: 75
Joined: 22 May 2008 04:13 pm
Location: Sunbury=on-Thames

Post by Flystitch »

Yes Heksie, that says it perfectly.
ImageImage
Post Reply