loose stitches

If you have any questions about knitting please add them here for others to answer.

Moderator: admin

Post Reply
karinmackk
..
..
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 09:14 am
Location: highlands

loose stitches

Post by karinmackk »

I did say I was going to need a lot of help :D

When knitting I often find that the first/last stitch on a row is very loose. I always try to make sure that I tighten the yarn as I go along to see if it makes any difference. It is making the edges look untidy and difficult to make up. Is it something I'm doing wrong and can any one tell me how to prevent it?

thanks
Karin
grant42
.....
.....
Posts: 129
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 09:54 am
Location: March Cambs UK

Post by grant42 »

Mine are as well,they say for a tidier edging always slip the first stitch,try that. :)
Cheryl

Ravelry ID: grant42
karinmackk
..
..
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 09:14 am
Location: highlands

Post by karinmackk »

thanks Cheryl I'll give that a go :)
Janet
.....
.....
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Oct 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Essex

Post by Janet »

Hi Karin

Slipping the first stitch should work.

If it doesn't work another way, if you are knitting stocking stitch, is to purl the last stitch on a knit row and knit the last stitch on a purl row. It doesn't usually matter that the edge stitches are different because it is lost in the seam when you sew up.

Janet
karinmackk
..
..
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 09:14 am
Location: highlands

Post by karinmackk »

thanks I'll give both of the ideas a go and see what suits me best. The loose stitches don't seem to matter too much when sewing up a seam but it can cause real problems when trying to pick up stitches for a button band. I've just ripped out a whole hooded cable jacket in sheer frustration at not being able to disguise the holes caused by the loose stitches.
Ah well, never mind, started a new project now that doesn't have button bands!!!
I'll let you know how I get on.

thanks again
Karin
knitwits
.
.
Posts: 4
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 05:00 pm
Location: SOMERSET

Post by knitwits »

Hi Karin,
I find if you Slip the first stitch and knit the last stitch on every row you get a much neater edge.Hope this is of some use to you.

Marilyn
karinmackk
..
..
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 09:14 am
Location: highlands

Post by karinmackk »

thanks,
now that you mention that I seem to recall my granny telling me to slip the first stitch on every row :!: :!: I gues I should've listened and saved myself a lot of trouble :oops:
I'm knitting some hats at the moment and haven't been experimenting much. I hope to get round to trying all suggestions on my next project.
My daughter-in-law wanted a hat with earflaps and when my niece and her friends saw the completed article they all wanted one as well. Luckily a hat only uses about 100g of chunky yarn and you can knit one in an evening. When I've done with hats I'll let you know how I get on.
Karin
User avatar
Heksie
..
..
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Jan 2008 08:53 pm
Location: Waterfall South Africa

loose stiches

Post by Heksie »

:lol: Hello there
slipping the first stich knit wise on all rows does give you a rather neat side. another trick is when doing the cast off row of your knitting follow this way: cast off until you reach the last two stiches, knit them together and pull the stich over.by doing this you will not have a big loose stitch on the end of your neddle.
from Heksie :P
karinmackk
..
..
Posts: 14
Joined: 17 Oct 2007 09:14 am
Location: highlands

Post by karinmackk »

Thanks Heksie,
you're advice arrived just at the right time as I was about to cast off using a cotton blend yarn. I find that this kind of yarn always gives a large loopy last stitch and you're method has solved it :D .
I have been slipping the fisrt stitch on every row as well and this has also neatened up my work.
:thanks: to every one for their help

Karin
User avatar
Heksie
..
..
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Jan 2008 08:53 pm
Location: Waterfall South Africa

Cyberfriends

Post by Heksie »

Hi me again

just thought I could also mention that should your knitting be in rib, then casting of in rib ensure that the last row has a little stretch to it. I found it works very well for instance when knitting booties from the foot up. also when you have knitted the neck band in on a jumper, especially for todlers or children. Make the pulling over the head easy. :wink:

Heksie
Liz
....
....
Posts: 83
Joined: 13 Oct 2007 06:25 pm
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Post by Liz »

What brilliant advice Heksie I would never have thought of that!
Janet
.....
.....
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Oct 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Essex

Post by Janet »

I agree with Heskie.

I always cast off in rib if the work is in ribbing to give that extra stretch.

Janet
Liz
....
....
Posts: 83
Joined: 13 Oct 2007 06:25 pm
Location: Bradford
Contact:

Post by Liz »

I have cast off all sorts of knitting in rib but still can get that horrible loose end stitch...won't anymore though (fingers crossed!)
Post Reply