change colour, change texture

If you have any general craft questions please ask here.

If a subject comes up frequently we will add it as a new forum.

Moderator: admin

exiled

change colour, change texture

Post by exiled »

Last winter I knitted a sweater for man in family in Elle Rustica in Beige. Good price, bargain in fact, found pattern for same and apart from guage problems and hitch in sleeve head, worked out , finall, well. The yarn was a joy to knit with, very soft to the hands. However , I have just bought the same in a black and doing the tension square, I like to be sure, I noticed that it felt a lot harsher. Does this mean that dark dyes make the yarn a different texture? I would be interested to know if this applies to all yarns. On the whole I have found Elle yarns to be particularly soft and cuddly.
knitting not smoking
ann

Post by ann »

Hi
can you still get Elle wool I used a lot of that last year, and I liked it , but must admit I don't do a lot of black as sewing that colour up makes my eyes boggle I thought Elle had been taken over by another company ( might be wrong ) but thats what my local wool shop told me before he closed down.

ann
exiled

Elle Yarns

Post by exiled »

Hello Ann, Look no further! Dianne,s still have quite a selection, although they emphasise that it is discontinued and you must be careful to order enough. I have also bought on eBay, but beware, some eBay sellers charge more than our hosts!
I have knitted with Rustica, Aran Gold , Caress DK, and a version of Gold DK called trio and have nothing but praise for the products. I notice there is a cotton blend DK called cotton fields and would be interested in anyone,s feedback on that. Also there is a pure cotton called splish splash, has anyone used that one?There is very little left, so I assume a lot was sold
I have also heard about the change of name, now called Creative Yarns but have only found one source and not the same yarns as before
I suppose it is like everything else, if it,s good, get rid of it. Bit like Marks and Spencer, never keep a good line going too long!
I would recommend you don,t buy the caress tangerine, it is an awful colour, all the rest are nice.
knitting not smoking
ann

Post by ann »

Hi
will have a look at what D.K.Y have as I need 2 Jean Greenhowe patterns as well I don't buy off e- bay my neighbour bought wool there and all the balls came back with different dye shade codes on them. Will steer clear of the tangerine.
Happy Knitting

ann
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The JCB rep is coming tomorrow so I will ask him about the darker colours being harsh - he knows a lot about how yarn is produced etc. :lol:

On elle - I can give a bit of information about that. When we brought elle yarns they were only imported by Quadra who then sold out to Creative Yarns. However we decided not to continue buying from Creative Yarns for various reasons which I will not go into. However I now believe that they have decided not to import elle any more. The supply of elle from South Africa was always very patchy so we were never sure what we would get or when :cry:

Hope this helps
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just as I thought - Jamie from James C.Brett (and yes he is the boss) knew exactly what the problems was with the harsher yarn.

In the 'old' days when yarn was dyed after spinning, darker colours did have a harsher feel as it was usually in the dye longer.

However, modern Acrylic yarn has the colour already in the base material before it is spun, so different colours do not feel different just because they are different colours. I know Rustica was 20% wool but even that is usually dyed before spinning (in big machines).

The difference in feel would be because of the raw materials that the yarn was made from. One batch of Acrylic can feel very different from the next - whatever the colour. So even another batch in the same colour as the original 'softer' Rustica may feel very different.

Hope this helps

ps - see the Available Soon page for more info on the new JCB yarns we saw today
exiled

change colour, change texture , message to admin

Post by exiled »

Thank you for going to the trouble of getting an answer to my question. It might seem from some of my posts that I am slightly obsessive about the feel of different yarns. This is because two years ago I had an accident involving my left hand and a corned beef tin. I can "knit up a storm" but the index finger and thumb still have nerve damage and any roughness in fibre is horrible. As an avid collector of yarns, my dream is that a feel factor is printed alongside the gauge guide on every internet wool site! :) . Perhaps you could advise me how soft the J C Brett magic range is?
Many Thanks
knitting not smoking
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Now Jamie from JCB has told us at DKY many time about 'feel' of yarn and he really does seem to know his stuff.

Apparently the softness in the ball gives no indication of how it feels knitted up as it all depends how tight the ball is balled up. All JCB yarns seem to be balled quite loose which makes them feel soft in the ball. As we don't knit all the yarns we stock we could not give a knitted feel gauge and, because of the above info, a ball feel gauge would not really help. :cry:

Sometimes you can get too much information and it takes away all the mystique. :roll:

But I am sure many of our customers will already have knitted these yarns and can give you an idea about knitted feel. If we get enough info we might even make it an official info page on the website :lol:
exiled

A Feel Soft Factor

Post by exiled »

Thank you Diane
That sounds like a brilliant idea !!
Sites like Amazon ask for feedback on products, so short reviews of yarns would surely be a positive progression. i think you could confine it to yarns you deal in otherwise it could get a bit tricky :o
knitting not smoking
nehaali

Post by nehaali »

i agree with you ,
fertooos

Post by fertooos »

I have also noticed that different colors have a different feel. It can be the result of different dyeing components. Even threads of the same color but from different lots may be not the same. I would like to know if there are knitters here from los-angeles area. I would love to organize a small club for meetings in real life. Contact me directly, please.
Last edited by fertooos on 23 Jun 2020 04:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ann

elle yarns are still available but only in South Africa which is where elle (a brand name of Saprotex) is based.

https://elleyarns.com/

We used to stock all elle yarns but only have a couple left on our Special Offers page.

https://www.knitting-yarn.co.uk/special ... s-elle.htm

Is there a particular yarn you were interested in? Perhaps we can suggest an alternative.