Never too old to learn! casting on

If you just want to chat or sound off about anything (it does not have to be craft related) you can do that here.
If a subject comes up frequently we will add it as a new forum.

Moderators: admin, lulu, Dianne

Post Reply
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

Never too old to learn! casting on

Post by exiled »

All my knitting life , over 50 years, I have cast on the same way as my Mum did, the cable cast on. I keep reading patterns that say cast on using the thumb method, and American books that say the long tail cast on.
So , I went on the net and have learnt to do both, sitting at the PC with yarn and needles. The thumb method I might use, but the other I can do, but feel very awkward.
That,s all, have a nice Saturday!
knitting not smoking
ann
.....
.....
Posts: 154
Joined: 14 Jan 2008 04:02 pm

Post by ann »

Hi (Betty )
I use the thumb method all the time, but beware you cant unpick the rib stitches once you have cast on that way, ( well I cant )

ann
exiled
....
....
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jun 2008 08:41 am
Location: sweden

thumb method

Post by exiled »

Thank you for that, Anne. I will remember that and be selective as to when I use it,Betty
knitting not smoking
Janet
.....
.....
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Oct 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Essex

Post by Janet »

Hi Exiled

I too spent many years doing cast on like my mum also cable method. All my casting on was a bit too tight and I was never happy with it.

Many years ago now I like you taught myself the thumb method and now use it all the time, I like that extra stretch I get with it.

Janet
lolapaluuza
.
.
Posts: 1
Joined: 27 Jul 2020 06:02 pm

Post by lolapaluuza »

Hello to all! I am a newbie, and I need help. I was told that knitting helps calm nerves and relieve stress. This damn pandemic is very bad for my mental health. Where is the best place to learn to knit, from videos on YouTube?
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1660
Joined: 10 Oct 2007 09:31 pm
Contact:

Post by admin »

Normally i would say a friend is the best way to learn, but at the moment it is probably YouTube.

The following books have a How to Knit section in them.

Sirdar Learn to knit Book 292

Sirdar Big Softie Knits for Beginners Book 344

Sirdar Kiko Super Chunky (Learn to Knit) Book 451

Sirdar Husky Super Chunky Book 472

We also have a How to Knit page online.

https://www.knitting-yarn.co.uk/m-info-knit.htm
Post Reply