why do people say they have 'knit' something when surely the word is 'knitted'? Is this an Americanisation/poor English/am I just old fashioned???
Why do people say they have 'knit' something
Moderator: admin
- scotsbluebell
- .

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 04 Feb 2010 12:28 pm
- Location: Bedfordshire
Why do people say they have 'knit' something
Hi,
why do people say they have 'knit' something when surely the word is 'knitted'? Is this an Americanisation/poor English/am I just old fashioned???
why do people say they have 'knit' something when surely the word is 'knitted'? Is this an Americanisation/poor English/am I just old fashioned???
Happy knitting!
Scotsbluebell
Scotsbluebell
Knit or knitted
I am with you over this, I think it is another Americanisation which has slipped into our language.
At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old woman, ( I am,) there are other words and phrases that irritate me.
Schedule pronounced as if there were a k
"looking to do something" e.g. Are you looking to buy a new house? What happened to hoping to or planning to?
K instead of thousand
24/7 instead of24 hours a day.
pearl stitches instead of purl.
I could go on but I will end there, and yes I do know there are more important things in life but it,s too hot and I feel like having a whinge for a few minutes11

At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old woman, ( I am,) there are other words and phrases that irritate me.
Schedule pronounced as if there were a k
"looking to do something" e.g. Are you looking to buy a new house? What happened to hoping to or planning to?
K instead of thousand
24/7 instead of24 hours a day.
pearl stitches instead of purl.
I could go on but I will end there, and yes I do know there are more important things in life but it,s too hot and I feel like having a whinge for a few minutes11
knitting not smoking
I am afraid I am guilty of using 24/7 but it backfired on me a bit recently.
We had the following message in the shopping basket
The Shopping Basket and Secure Payment Option is open 24/7.
Unfortunately a customer misread this and thought we were closed until 24th July.
I have now changed the message to explain it a bit better.
We had the following message in the shopping basket
The Shopping Basket and Secure Payment Option is open 24/7.
Unfortunately a customer misread this and thought we were closed until 24th July.
I have now changed the message to explain it a bit better.
Admin
www.knitone.co.uk
www.knitone.co.uk
- scotsbluebell
- .

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 04 Feb 2010 12:28 pm
- Location: Bedfordshire
I'm not alone then ...
Thanks Exiled, good to know I'm not the only grumpy old woman who picks these things up. The list is endless and I could go on but I thought the 'knit' one was particularly relevant to this site.
Interesting about the 24/7 comment, admin!
Interesting about the 24/7 comment, admin!
Happy knitting!
Scotsbluebell
Scotsbluebell
- scotsbluebell
- .

- Posts: 4
- Joined: 04 Feb 2010 12:28 pm
- Location: Bedfordshire
OOOh we could be here for days with these!
Another 'of' one is when people say they 'should of done something' when they mean they 'should HAVE done something'. There's also less when it should be fewer and I find the TV people can't handle singular and plural ... one in 10 people HAS is correct but they all say one in 10 people HAVE. I shout at the TV all the time ... oh help, that sounds really sad written down. 
Happy knitting!
Scotsbluebell
Scotsbluebell

