Hi newbie here and very pleased about it too !
I have recently been getting into the knitted socks scene but have only used a couple of yarns, one being a 100% Alpaca dk which I'm afraid I'm not too impressed with... loved the feel of it knitting up and finished socks, but they were not hard wearting at all... lasted about a week as the ball and heel wore away leaving a hole in the heel. I have also used a couple of 4 plys which seem a bit better and they were from the cheaper end of the scale so not sure what to go for next.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sock wool and also if you, Diane, stock it please.
SOCK WOOL
Moderator: admin
Hi
Poor you!
My favourite yarn for socks was Sunbeam StIves 4ply sock yarn but that has been discontinued recently. There is still a little about. As socks take such a lot of wear the best yarn I think is wool/nylon mix. When I used to knit socks professionally for a commercial company they used Sirdar Country Style and Patons Diploma Gold. Both of these are available in DK and 4ply and the Sirdar is on this site. Regia sock yarn is good too.
Did you use a pattern that had slipped stitches on the heel flap to reinforce it if not that is worth a try next time. If you want to use a weaker yarn like Alpaca you can knit some cotton sewing threads with the yarn in the areas that take a lot of wear to try and strengthen them.
I hope this helps.
Janet
Poor you!
Did you use a pattern that had slipped stitches on the heel flap to reinforce it if not that is worth a try next time. If you want to use a weaker yarn like Alpaca you can knit some cotton sewing threads with the yarn in the areas that take a lot of wear to try and strengthen them.
I hope this helps.
Janet
-
knitting bod
- ..

- Posts: 17
- Joined: 17 Feb 2008 10:08 am
Opal and Regia are my personal favourites but I also have yarns from independent dyers in my sock yarn stash too. Regia and Opal yarns wear well and knit up well too. My first ever pair of socks that I knitted have just begun to wear thin at the toe and feel a bit baggy to wear 4 years after they were first knitted and I've worn them and worn them over three winters. They have lasted really well and I'll be sorry to say goodbye to them!
-
solstitches
- .

- Posts: 3
- Joined: 18 Apr 2009 07:41 pm
4ply sock yarn
Try Modern Knitting.Their 4ply wool nylon mix is excellent, nice colours, hardwearing and washes well.I think it is called cygnet, I googled sock re-inforcing yarn and bought some thin yarn on spools, like ordinary sewing thread but woolier.Only available in 3 or 4 colours but quite reasonably priced.Sorry I can,t remember where but a uk site.They also sell little stick on patches so children don,t slip on wooden floors in woollen socks.
Slipping alternate knit stitches also helps even out tension when you are going back and forth for the heel flap instead of the rounds as we all tend to knit slightly more loosely on purl rows.I have also seen it suggested that you drop down a needle size for the areas that wear and it makes no difference to the overall finished size.Hope this helps
Slipping alternate knit stitches also helps even out tension when you are going back and forth for the heel flap instead of the rounds as we all tend to knit slightly more loosely on purl rows.I have also seen it suggested that you drop down a needle size for the areas that wear and it makes no difference to the overall finished size.Hope this helps
knitting not smoking

