Question about a knitting pattern.

If you have any questions about knitting please add them here for others to answer.

Moderator: admin

Post Reply
RUTH
.
.
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Nov 2008 04:54 pm

Question about a knitting pattern.

Post by RUTH »

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone can hepl me with a query I have with a knitting pattern. I have not knitted for many years but decided to have a go again now as I am ecpecting a baby next year. I have found a pattern I really like and seems simple enough to follow exept for the border instructions which are really confusing me, so am now unsure as to wether or not to use this pattern. I will copy out the part I do not understand in the hope that someone will be able to make sense of it for me. I will only print out figures in the size I will be knitting.

Border

Join raglan seams. With rs facing using 4mm needles, starting at right front, pick up and knit 27sts evenly along straight edge, 23sts evenly along shaped edge, ( now the part I do not understand) 6sts from 9 cast off sts at top of right sleeve, 15sts from 19 cast off sts at back of neck, 6sts from 9 cast of sts at top of left sleeve, 25sts evenly along shaped edge and 27 sts evenly along straight edge of left front.
127 sts should remain.

I can not make any sense of this and can not work out how I can be left with 127sts at the end. If anyone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it as I am desperate to get started with it now.

Thanks a lot
Ruth
User avatar
janine
.....
.....
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Jan 2008 04:33 pm

Post by janine »

I think you might have copied it a little bit wrong towards the end where you put 25sts along shaped edge. I think that bit should be 23, the same as the first side, then the numbers add up right.
The bit that's confusing you is not that hard to do really. :)
When it says 6 sts from 9 sts cast off, it means that you had 9 sts when you cast off your sleeve. You need to pick up 6 of these for your border. Similarly, when it says 15 sts from 19 cast off at back of neck, it means pick up 15 of the 19 sts which you cast off on the back. Then you do the same on the next sleeve as the first.
You need to make all the pieces and sew them together before you start the border.
I think you should have a go, because it's lovely to create something for your new baby! :lol:
Why not start it and see how you get on? there's loads of nice people on here who'll try to advise if you get stuck. Good luck!
RUTH
.
.
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Nov 2008 04:54 pm

Post by RUTH »

Hi Janine

Thankyou very much for that. I have just worked it out the way you explained and I am left with exactly 127sts. It seems so simple now. This has been really annoying me for days now but I did not know who I could ask for help. Just came accross this forum today. I will get started on this pattern tomorrow now.

Thanks Ruth
User avatar
janine
.....
.....
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Jan 2008 04:33 pm

Post by janine »

Glad to have helped! Hope it goes well! :lol:
Flystitch
....
....
Posts: 75
Joined: 22 May 2008 04:13 pm
Location: Sunbury=on-Thames

Post by Flystitch »

How are you doing with your project Ruth?
ImageImage
RUTH
.
.
Posts: 3
Joined: 27 Nov 2008 04:54 pm

Post by RUTH »

Hi Flystitch

Thanks for asking about how I am doing. I have actually only just started my knitting the other day as there always seems to be so many other things to do but so far I am doing ok. If I have any other problems then I will certainly be back on here looking for some advice.

Ruth
Flystitch
....
....
Posts: 75
Joined: 22 May 2008 04:13 pm
Location: Sunbury=on-Thames

Post by Flystitch »

Always someone to help on here. I have just knitted 2 baby cardigans for a friend in the U.S. She doesn't knit so I offered to make a couple of things for her expected grandbaby. I think people are getting back to some handknitted baby things. I love to see a baby in a nice knitted jacket not put in one of those modern denim things :!:
ImageImage
Post Reply